Thursday, February 19, 2015

the world unplugged

                   The world unplugged is a website dedicated to how the current generation is consistently glued to technology and the media. The article I read discussed how college-aged student fared going at least 24 hours without technology and the results were obvious but interesting. At least five people from every country survey and experimented, had admitted failure and admitted that they were lost without their technological vices.

                     The website its self records the responses from students for each media device they clung on to. Students responded to how they used social media to make and connect with friends. They also talked about how having their phones and smartphones offered security and not having it is like essentially naked.

                    I must say I am a bit surprised on some of the statistics that the United States is not the "head honcho" as far as withdrawal of technology on most of the analyses. Usually it is a third world country that has problems with escaping the media. More people in Lebanon have laptops or smartphones than those in the US studied.

                     I myself, am not immune, although I don't like social media, my phone is a cheap government issued phone (that does not receive text) and I rarely ever use email or IM to contact or comment to people.
I need my video game, internet and MP3 fix lol. I have gone full days with out them, at the most I was bored when I was not around them. I am used to being alone, so I don't long for social media that much, there have been days, weeks and months I have not played any video games. Until 2013, I didn't even own a phone of any type. My mother had to somewhat force me to get one. I do remember the days without a computer because I did not get one until 2000, I still had a typewriter back then. So going cold turkey is not that hard but I would rather not do it. I understand the dilemma of not having technology but for people my age I would think that it should not be that far gone.

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment