Logbook #5 due 2/19
As per
Logbook five, I asked one of my professor’s for a rather impromptu
interview. I did not just ask him because of the assignment required me;
I asked him because unbeknownst to myself, I had
questions about my career and my future. I admit, I am still unsure
about myself (typical) and where I fit in the spectrum of the
Information Technology/Systems field. So, I asked my tech class
professor, Mark Hammond, a few questions to defog a few unanswered
questions and uncertainty I might have had. I must say even though on a
few questions he only used a word or two, I could tell by how he
responded that those phrases go a long way.
I asked him
a series of ten questions, most of which were related to my field. I
will only speak of the field related ones. One of the very first
questions I asked was what got him interested in the
field of Tech, and I was shocked to hear that his math teacher taught
him programming. I wish my math teacher knew that. As a teacher himself,
Mr. Hammond stated that the best part of his job is “His first job
computer related was in fiber optics, a network
technology type field: Network Technology is when computer related
devices are connected together via a medium like wires, and routers.
(Fiber wire is a tiny cable wire that is used for connecting devices,
like TV’s, phones, internet, but usually computers
and is faster than a typical Ethernet connection, fiber optics is the
technology of using these wires to connect devices together).
To ease my
nerves, Mr. Hammond told me that during the first six months he felt
comfortable working with computers. Perhaps I will feel the same way
once I have an IT job. He also gave me advice on
being knowledgeable so that I can more confident in the workplace. Mr.
Hammond did caution me to be open-minded and
explore which is one of the bases (plural of basis) of his TECH
100 class. One of the most powerful questions I queried about was: Is
there anything that he was surprised he should have known about having a
career in Tech and he said no… (One of the
most powerful words he said). When he said that, I was taken aback for a
second and he continued that everything he knew was sufficient for his
job. I immediately thought, that is what he meant when he said
“knowledgeable.” Skill-wise future IT professionals
need to have troubleshooting skills, to solve potential problems with
hardware and software, get certification to further prove educational
skills and be able to receive constructive criticism without resentment.
Speaking of hardware, I asked how English and
communication played a role in a technological society. He responded
“If you cannot communicate, how can you fix anything. I also had to
think about that, in this last week I was specifically told for an essay
that I was too “technology forward” with potential
readers and I need to specify information in a more “accessible” way to
non-computer savvy people. Imagine if I was at a help desk, if I used
the actual name of equipment instead of a simplified form. They would be
lost faster than following an IKEA instruction
manual. Lastly I was given advice about certifications, he stated that I
should try to get a CCNA certification and then if I wanted to, I could
get a bachelor degree.
I am very
happy to have asked him these field-related questions as he had
decades of experience, and he is very knowledgeable as far what to
expect, the skills required for success and how what
we learn today affects what we do tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment